Saturday, December 13, 2008

Starting the journey...

I had alot of help, and this is for any future teacher or curious person out there! Dave's ESL cafe was the most helpful in finding jobs and the recruiters (there are more places but this site helped me). Which by the way is CRAZY! There are so many jobs, and sooooooooooo many recruiters. Once you email them, and show interest, they will get back to you immediately, and schedule phone meetings for you, and pretty much set up everything. It is your job to fully inform yourself as much as possible, and ask ALOT of questions. Ask if you can speak to the teacher you are replacing, and keep in touch with them.

I was offered so many positions, but you have to feel what is right for you. I made a final choice between two job offers, one was in Yongin and the other was in Jeju Island. Yongin was going to pay me more money, so I was leaning more to towards that job, but emotionally (everything but my mind) it was pulling me to Jeju. So I asked to speak with both of the teachers I was replacing, and that told me alot. Plus my recruiter Jason Smith, from Jejuesl.com was so helpful, and made me feel comfortable.

There are other sites you can go to if you decide to teach on Jeju Island. One in particular is Jeju Life, which is an online English magazine, incredibly helpful. James (director and the main guy of the magazine) also set up a Jeju Life Forum page, and the other forum is a Yahoo group called Rhymes with Jeju, it is a group of English speaking teachers that post through email, and they can help you out if you're new. They post classes, events, and answer questions for you (well as much as they can)! Facebook also has groups you can join and get in touch with people on the island (Jeju Life is on there, me, and more groups)!

Then it's all the paperwork!!! But it's all fun if your ready for it...

Good luck to all of you, if there is one thing I learned is DO ALOT OF RESEARCH, and get as many details as you can. Some teachers have had bad experiences, and were misinformed. But life is life, things happen, just be prepared, and have options!

Safe journeys...

No comments: